June Newsletter: A month of celebration and learning
June marks two big milestones in the calendar year – Pride Month and Indigenous History Month.
Pride Month celebrations are being held across North America for the month of June, celebrating the history and diversity of 2SLGBTQ+ community.
National Indigenous History Month is a time to recognize the rich history, heritage, resilience and diversity of First Nations, Inuit and Métis Peoples across Canada.
Access resources to continue your learning during Pride Month:
- Follow organizations like the Sport Inclusion Task Force who are leading the charge for an inclusive sport society.
- Access our Leading the Way: Working with LGBT Athletes and Coaches resource.
- Watch our We Are Sport: LGBT2IS+ Inclusion webinar on a conversation with athletes and leaders from the LGBTQI2S sports community on what inclusion and allyship in sport should look like to ensure that there is a place for everyone to participate.
- Access viasport’s 2SLGBTQ+ resource page for sport organizations.
- Participate in our Leading the Way: 2SLGBTQ+ Inclusion in Sport workshop for your organization.
Access resources to continue your learning during Indigenous History Month:
- Learn about inspiring Indigenous peoples who have helped shape Canadian history.
- Utilize the Native Land Digital site which includes educational resources such as their map and Territory Acknowledgement Guide.
- Explore more about the rich and diverse cultures, voices, experiences and histories of First Nations, Inuit and Métis peoples.
- Use the hashtag #NIHM2022 to stay connected on social media.
- Stay connected with the Aboriginal Sport Circle – Canada’s national voice for Aboriginal sport, physical activity and recreation.
- Understand the five calls to action related to sport in the Truth of Reconciliation Commission’s Calls to Action.
Upcoming Learning Opportunities:
- Canadian Centre for Diversity and Inclusion sits down with Indigenous Works to discuss frameworks and strategies to build more inclusive workplaces for Indigenous Peoples. Join their Moving towards building a Reconciliation action plan: Indigenous inclusion with employers webinar on June 7 at 1:00PM ET. Register here.
- In this fireside chat, CCDI will speak with an expert to explore how organizations can create psychologically safe spaces for LGBTQ2S+ individuals. Join their Creating a psychologically safe space for the LGBTQ2S+ community webinar on June 16 at 1:00PM ET. Register here.
Gender Equity Initiatives From Our Friends:
- The Canadian Sport Policy is set to be renewed in February 2023. The renewed sport policy will help to identify Canadian sport priorities and provide guidance to Federal, Provincial and Territorial governments in advancing sport for the next 10 years (2023-2033). To complement and further inform the process, all Canadians are invited to complete the survey. If you agree that gender equity is important for advancing sport in Canada, make your opinion known. Complete the survey by June 23, 2022. Access the survey here.
Have a gender Equity initiative you want to share? Click here.
Thanks for reading!