July Newsletter: It’s finally summer!
With summer in full swing, there’s lots of action and activities taking place in women’s sports. For community based organizations, our Same Game Challenge is a great place to begin your own gender equity journey.
What is the Same Game Challenge?
The Same Game Challenge supports sport and physical activity organizations to actively engage women and girls by implementing The Same Game Online Toolkit. Listen to the video below to learn how organizations have benefitted from the program.
What can the program do for your organization?
- The Same Game Challenge connects a community of sport leaders excited about making change. Meet like-minded individual’s from across the province/country who are creating change.
- Receive education on what’s needed to support women and girls participating in sport within your community.
- Receive coaching support as you work your way through the Same Game Toolkit.
- Gain access to professional development (5 free licenses of the Gender Equity LENS e-learning module).
- Receive financial support ($1,000 honorarium) to aid your organizational gender equity activities.
Interested in participating in an upcoming Same Game Challenge?
- CBC Sports will provide broadcast and streaming coverage of the Concacaf Women’s Championship Soccer matches on July 5, July 8 and 11th. Tune in to catch all the action as the Canadian’s look to qualify for the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup.
- How to assess and address workforce planning using a DEI (Diversity, Equity and Inclusion) lens? Join the Canadian Centre for Diversity and Inclusion learn more about how you can fully utilize the diversity of your staff and plan for the future of your workforce to reflect the growing diversity of our communities. Register here for the webinar on July 12th.
- The Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games are taking place from July 28-August 8, 2022. View the schedule to tune in to cheer on Canadian’s competing in an array of sports: beach volleyball, 3×3 basketball, badminton, aquatics and more. View the schedule here for more details.
- New Resource: Athletes train and compete at the elite level during their reproductive years, yet sport policies that support pregnant athletes are lacking. Female athletes say they must ‘make the tough decision’ between being a mother or an elite athlete in a system that typically does not support being both. Sport organizations need to intentionally create environments and networks that value and support pregnancy. Learn more in our latest resource: The Experiences of Elite Athlete During Pregnancy.
Gender Equity Initiatives From Our Friends:
- The Maritime Women’s Basketball Association has officially completed their inaugural season with great success over the 37 game season: 26,800+ digital viewers on YouTube and15,000 in-person fans. The East coast women’s basketball league was created to offer a competitive place for women basketball players to play in the U SPORTS off-season or after graduation. Check out the latest article by Shireen Ahmed, Senior Contributor at CBC, on why the Maritimes are a perfect place to start a Canadian pro women’s basketball league.
Have a gender equity initiative you want to share? Click here.
Thanks for reading!