Call for National Applications: Sport, Physical Activity and Recreation Organizations Needed for Same Game Challenge
Canadian Women & Sport is pleased to extend an invitation to sport and recreation organizations across Canada to apply for the Same Game Challenge thanks to funding support from Canadian Tire Jumpstart Charities (Jumpstart). This project will support organizations to advance gender equity and improve opportunities for women and girls as participants and leaders in sport.
Same Game Challenge is for sport leaders who are inspired to reimagine how women and girls access their sport but have been frustrated in their ability to make efficient and effective change. Sport leaders will be provided with a step-by-step process that guides them on how to connect with their members to identify gender inequities. Sport leaders and their organizations will develop the skills they need to create sustainable change that closes the gender inequity gaps they face. Participating organizations will also receive access to expert coaching and peer support throughout the process.
Key information dates:
Canadian Women & Sport and Jumpstart will be partnering to deliver five cohorts to reach 240 organizations for the Same Game Challenge which will offer sport, physical activity and recreation organizations across Canada more opportunities to participate.
Applications for this first cohort are open from Thursday, September 1st until Sunday, October 2nd at 11:59pm ET. Same Game Challenge will officially begin January 2023 and will run through until July 2023. With funding from Jumpstart, Canadian Women & Sport will support and connect their first 40 sport and physical activity leaders working to advance gender equity in their organization.
The next round of applications for cohort two will take place in early 2023. Details to come.
Organizations will have the option to waitlist their application for an upcoming cohort if they are not selected at this time.
Who is eligible?
This application is open to sport, physical activity and recreation organizations across Canada such as minor sport organizations, clubs, recreation facilities, or other organizations that offer physical activity or sport in their community.
How will organizations benefit?
Successful applicants will receive:
- Coaching and mentorship – guidance and advice for embedding gender equity into their organizational strategies, process, and programs
- Opportunities to share and learn with others – connect with other leaders who will be working through Same Game simultaneously
- Professional Development – Access to free licenses of the Gender Equity LENS e-learning module for their organization leaders
- Financial Support – $1,000 honorarium to support organizational gender equity activities
- Knowledge and Competency – Effective solutions and a better understanding of how to engage women and girls in sport
What is the commitment required by organizations?
- A minimum of one contact/representative from the organization to attend each group session and coaching session
- Two representatives from the organization to be part of the program
- Attend five (5) one-on-one meetings with Same Game Coach
- Active participation for the six (6) month program duration
- Submitting testimonials/feedback on your organization’s experience during the program
- Interacting and moving through with the Same Game Toolkit throughout the program duration
- This program requires a touch point every 3 weeks with your group and/or coach
What are the key timelines?
- September 1 until October 2nd – application open.
- Week of October 24th – organizations will be notified of the status of their application.
- Month of November – distribution of contracts and program information to selected organizations.
- January 2023 – onboarding and Same Game Challenge kick off meeting.
- January 2023 – July 2023 – Work through the Same Game process, one-on-one support and group meetings.
- July/August 2023 – Share learnings and successes.
Canadian Women & Sport is committed to the equitable distribution of funds to all communities and underrepresented groups. We welcome and encourage applications from organizations led by or directly serving women and girls who are:
- Indigenous peoples (First Nations, Métis, and Inuit)
- People of Colour (people who are non-white, regardless of birthplace)
- Deaf Persons, Persons with Disabilities
We also encourage applications from organizations in a variety of communities (rural, suburban, urban, reserves) and sport and activity types (individual, team, recreational, summer, winter).
We would like to thank Canadian Tire Jumpstart Charities for funding this program.
Please direct any questions related to the program or application process to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Canadian Women & Sport
Canadian Women & Sport is dedicated to creating an equitable and inclusive Canadian sport and physical activity system that empowers girls and women—as active participants and leaders—within and through sport. With a focus on systemic change, we partner with sport organizations, governments, and leaders to challenge the status quo and build better sport through gender equity.
About Canadian Tire Jumpstart Charities
Canadian Tire Jumpstart Charities is a national charity committed to ensuring kids in need have equal access to sport and recreation. With an extensive, national network of more than 1,000 grantees and 289 local chapters, Jumpstart helps eligible families cover the costs of registration, transportation, and equipment, and provides funding to selected organizations for recreational infrastructure and programming. Supported by Canadian Tire Corporation, Jumpstart has provided more than 2.7 million opportunities for Canadian kids to get in the game since 2005. For more information, visit jumpstart.canadiantire.ca.