Call for National Applications: Local Sport, Physical Activity and Recreation Organizations Needed for Same Game Challenge
An opportunity to define and bring to life your unique gender equity vision
Canadian Women & Sport is pleased to extend an invitation to sport and recreation organizations to apply for the Same Game Challenge thanks to funding support from Sport Canada. This project will support local communities to advance gender equity and improve opportunities for women and girls as participants and leaders in sport.
The Same Game Challenge provides education on gender equity and coaching support from Canadian Women & Sport as organizations progress through the Same Game Online Toolkit.
The Same Game online toolkit helps you bring your gender equity vision to life. You’ll walk through a systematic process for embedding gender equity into your organization – from creating your vision, to implementing initiatives, to reflecting and revising what you’ve done, and all the steps in between.
Applications are open from Wednesday, July 7th until Wednesday, July 21st, 2021, and the Challenge runs from August to February 2022 with onboarding in August 2021 Thanks to funding from Sport Canada, Canadian Women & Sport will support and connect 10 sport and physical activity leaders working to advance gender equity in their organization.
Who is eligible?
This application is open to local community sport, physical activity and recreation organizations across Canada such as minor sport organizations, recreation facilities, or other organizations that offer physical activity or sport in their community.
How will organizations benefit?
Successful applicants will receive:
- Coaching and mentorship – guidance and advice for embedding gender equity into their organizational strategies, process, and programs
- Opportunities to share and learn with others – connect with 9 other leaders who will be working through Same Game simultaneously
- Professional Development – Access to 5 free licenses of the Gender Equity LENS e-learning module for organization leaders
- Financial Support – $1,000 honorarium to support organizational gender equity activities
- Knowledge and Competency – Effective solutions and a better understanding of how to engage women and girls in sport
What is the commitment required by organizations?
- Capacity to explore and implement initiatives to embed gender equity into your organization
- Support from Board of Directors and senior leaders
- Attend monthly one-on-one and group meetings with Same Game Coach and other organization leaders
What are the key timelines?
- July 7th – 21st, 2021 – application opens.
- August 9th 2021 – organizations will be notified of the status of their application.
- August 2021 – onboarding and Same Game Challenge kick off meeting.
- August 2021 – February 2022 – Work through the Same Game process, one-on-one support and group meetings.
- March/April 2022 – Share learnings and successes.
Canadian Women & Sport is committed to the equitable distribution of funds to all communities and underrepresented groups. We welcome and encourage applications from organizations led by or directly serving women and girls who are:
- Indigenous peoples (First Nations, Métis, and Inuit)
- People of Colour (people who are non-white, regardless of birthplace)
- Deaf Persons, Persons with Disabilities
We also encourage applications from organizations in a variety of communities (rural, suburban, urban, reserves) and sport and activity types (individual, team, recreational, summer, winter).
We would like to thank Sport Canada for funding this project.
For more information: